Popular Articles :

What is subclavian steal syndrome?

Subclavian steal syndrome is the term for the abnormal blood flow patterns caused by narrowing (shut-off or compression) of the subclavian artery on the neck. Artery is the name of a blood vessel that carries oxygen-rich blood to the body. Subclavian artery gives off an arteriegren going up to the same side of the brain (vertebral artery), and the rest of the artery continues in the same page's arm.

When such a blockage of blood circulation in the neck can cause the blood flow in the opposite direction in the vertebral artery (that is, from the brain), which leads to the "stolen" blood from the brain and can cause disturbances in the brain's blood circulation and manifest itself as a " drip ". The condition can cause symptoms such as episodes of acute vertigo, and it can cause discomfort in the arm.

The condition is not uncommon. It occurs most commonly in people over 50 years and is slightly more common in men than in women. The left subclavian artery is 3-4 times more prone to this error. Approx. 1% of the population will be able to subclavian steal syndrome, but only 5% of these will experience "mini-stroke" (TIA) as a result.

What is the prognosis?
Isolation does not represent this state a significant risk of irreversible brain injury, stroke or death. However, there are few studies about this.

However, one must not forget that most of the subclavian steal patients have significantly increased risk of other types of disease and death as a result of widespread atherosclerosis, mainly stroke and heart attack.

A follow-up study of operated patients who had high-grade narrowing of the subclavian artery, showed that of the 90 patients who had symptoms before treatment, reported 74% of complete symptom relief, while the remaining 26% all experienced marked improvement.

Patients with subclavian steal-blood flow changes should be offered follow-up control of the ultrasound examination of Halske. If it were to apply the new or increased levels of symptoms and, possibly, changes in blood flow pattern, it may be appropriate to reconsider the indication for operative treatment.

Alerts: If you want to know more fresh update helpful articles enter your email address below and be notified by mail.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner