Popular Articles :

Venous blood clot treatment

What is the treatment?
The treatment of cerebral venous thrombosis is the use of blood-thinning medications, anticoagulation. Such treatment is given even if the clot has led to a brain hemorrhage four. Initially, therapy should be administered in injection form (Heparin), later given the tablets (warfarin). The recommended treatment duration is 4-6 months. Blood proppop tonguetreatment (endovascular thrombolytic therapy) may be effective in patients who are deteriorating despite correct anticoagulation with heparin, but such treatment is limited to specialist centers 17 Benamar HT, Bone I. Cerebral venous thrombosis: anticoagulants or thrombolytic therapy? .

Additional treatment may be appropriate against cramps, swelling on the brain or concurrent infections. Headaches caused by increased pressure in the brain, can be improved by raising the head on the bed or by providing a means (Diamox ®) reduce the production of the water-clear fluid that surrounds the brain, among other things.

cerebral venous thrombosis treatment

Surgery can sometimes be an emergency measure in an unsuccessful medical treatment.

What is the prognosis?
With early diagnosis, the prognosis is good and full recovery can be expected at ca. 70%. Among the remaining 30% will third die, and two-thirds have been mild to moderate neurological damage. Coma, seizures or underlying disease has the little impact on short-term prognosis and should not limit treatment. In the long term, approx. 20% could get a new episode of venous thrombosis.

Alerts: If you want to know more fresh update helpful articles enter your email address below and be notified by mail.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner